Fortress Letterpress believes in providing high-quality custom letterpress goods and design. With the change of the year, so has the focus of Fortress. We no longer operate as a typical print house, but are creating work that showcases our vision and design esthetic. Our work includes:
• business cards
• letterhead & stationary
• CD packaging
• art prints
• coasters & menus
Because Fortress is a small operation and hand/foot operated, I can only take on a certain number of clients at a time. I apologize for any inconvenience.
When requesting an estimate, I need this information from you:
• timeline - when do you need these delivered to you or your client? Please consider shipping times as well if you live outside of Portland, OR.
• quantity - pretty self-explanatory, really...
• size - I mean the size of the paper, not the graphic. For more detail, please consult the FAQs column.
• # of colors - honestly, the fewer, the better (and cheaper).
• paper choice - let me know the weight and color of your ideal paper choice, but also remember: letterpress can be printed on a variety of mediums. Think big and I can help determine what is realistic.
• project name - like naming your car, naming your project is good luck. Plain and simple.
• contact information - full name, number, email... that kind of thing.
• estimated budget - this will help me determine what services I can offer to fit within an individual budget. Since each project is different and done by hand, there is no standard price point. The more details you give about your project, the more I can help come up with a reasonable bid. Knowledge is power... or something.
Do you give tours of the studio?
Well, let me ask you this: have you ever seen the inside of a garage? Yes. We'll give you a tour of our studio but by appointment only.
What kind of paper is best for letterpress printing?
This is definitely a matter of opinion. While I believe letterpress can be printed beautifully on many different weights, I prefer a heavier stock because it allows us to make a deeper impression (which most of our clients have come to associate with traditional letterpress). Our house stock is 140-lb (18 pt) paper from French Paper Co. Please see below for stock paper samples. Please note that Fortress is always amenable to printing on different types of paper (handmade, vellum, typing, etc.) if your project calls for this.
What is the largest size you can print?
Due to the current size of our press, Fortress is limited to printing images 5 x 7 inches or smaller. Paper size can exceed the image size but please contact us for specifics.
How long does a job usually take?
I prefer 2 weeks (10 business days) from the point in which we receive image files until I complete the job. Rush orders are available but subject to additional fees for shipping and handling.
Do you ship internationally?
Sure thing! But it will cost you.
What if I want our corners rounded or our cards scored?
These services will be quoted on a job-to-job basis and are subject to a handling fee.
Can I print photos?
No. Please see above.
How about full color?
No, but I'm willing to do CMYK process as a 4-color process and it will be charged accordingly.
Unfortunately, not at this time.
Can I work for you for free?
I don't approve of people working for free. However, if internship opportunities arise, I will find a way to compensate you accordingly. Please check the 'BLOG' page for any updates.
Oatmeal or grits?
I'm so glad you asked. Grits for the win.
Siouxsie Sioux or Blondie?
Siouxsie for the career, Blondie for the hits.